|Masaccio, Madonna and Child with St. Anne|
Florence, Uffizi Gallery
During this ten-day period in 2011, I posted a series of essays on the iconography of St. Anne. The list of topics is shown below. I refer readers to them. I've updated some with additional images, as I've found them during the past year.
1. Introduction, Background of Joachim and Anne plus Annunciation of Mary's Birth
2. The Meeting of Anne and Joachim at the Golden Gate
3. Birth of Mary
4. Presentation of Mary in the Temple
5. St. Anne as Teacher (Education of the Virgin Mary)
6. Anne, Root of the Tree of Salvation (the Anna selbdritt image)
7. St. Anne, Grandmother
8. St. Anne, Matriarch of the Holy Kindred
|Luca Vescia, St. Anne and Mary|
New York, St. Jean Baptiste Church,
Shrine of St. Anne
10. St. Anne, Patron and Intercessor
I have also published additional images of Saint Anne in annual supplements. To see these click on the year or title:
Saint Anne at the Met
In the meantime, you may want to join in the daily prayer to St. Anne, recited during each day of the novena.
Novena Prayer to Saint Anne
"O glorious St. Ann, you are filled with compassion for those who invoke you and with love for those who suffer! Heavily burdened with the weight of my troubles, I cast myself at your feet and humbly beg of you to take the present intention which I recommend to you in your special care.
Please recommend it to your daughter, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and place it before the throne of Jesus, so that He may bring it to a happy issue. Continue to intercede for me until my request is granted. But, above all, obtain for me the grace one day to see my God face to face, and with you and Mary and all the saints to praise and bless Him for all eternity. Amen."
© M. Duffy, 2013